Friday, June 14, 2013

Burlap-crete wall 5

Finished section of burlap-crete wall. As I progressed I ditched the grout and, after soaking the raw burlap in concrete bonding agent overnight, simply saturated it in the same 3:1 mix of sand and Portland cement I was spraying. I'd drape three pieces at a time--a 12 ft section. The pieces were about  8 1/2 ft. long and simply layed over the wire fence and tied with wire here and there. I sprayed three or four layers of mortar over a couple days of work, and I added exterior paint to the mix on the final spray. With a little reworking here and there, the little home-made sprayer worked well for the whole project. I capped along the top with mortar. The wall feels solid enough, and we like the "draped" look of it. We'll see how it holds up before progressing any farther.


No comments:

Post a Comment