Faux Ceramic Tile

 So this is an effort to paint the cheesy plastic above our guest bathroom tub to look like ceramic tile.
The area was primed with Zinsser all surface primer. I masked the "grout" with 1/8 inch wide masking tape, and I'm using good ol' Decoart Americana acrylic paints -- Georgia Clay, Dried Clay, a couple different oranges, and black -- to create the look. I'm using  brown, black, and grey acrylics to attempt a faux wood look over the plastic frame.
The plan is to cover the entire project with a clear matte glaze.
We'll see how it all goes.
I'm trying various methods to create the look -- mostly just improvising with dry brushing or patting the layered paint with a foam brush. It's been a great time to experiment, and I've tried mixing a clear glaze with black to overlay my base of terracotta colors, but thus far haven't cared much for the result and have just applied thin layers of paint straight from the bottle -- mixing to various shades on a piece of cardboard -- to overlay the base color, then dry brushing, feathering, or patting with a foam brush.
It's been slow, but I'm liking the look.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drip Irrigation Experiment 2

Drip Irrigation Experiment 3

Improvised Shelves for our Frigidaire Refrigerator